Tuesday, September 4, 2012

In the thick of it.

Yup, you read it right.  We are officially "in the thick of it".  We have begun our homeschoolin' and thar ain't no turnin' back now!

OK, but, anywayzzzzzzz....

We have finished our first week of homeschooling, and we have finished two days of the curriculum I planned.  Hhhmmm.....  I think we are a little teeny weeny bit behind.  But, on the same note, I know that we have been learning, which is the whole point of this little adventure.

One of the lessons that we had this week was on the poem Catch a Little Rhyme by Eve Merriam.  I highly suggest looking this poem up as it has a lot of fun words to play with.  We read the poem together and found all of the funny lines throughout.  Then, my son came up with his own verbs to replace all the verbs that the author had used.  He was laughing so hard at some points that I didn't think he would be able to go on.  We then looked at the authors use of couplets in the poem and I had him add one of his own, which again had him laughing quite hysterically.

The next day we were riding in the car and he was talking to his older brother, and what do I hear, but my middle boy reciting Catch a Little Rhyme in its entirety!  How awesome!  Then, this afternoon, my middle boys receives his Highlights magazine in the mail and as he is reading through it he calls me over to see a poem written in couplets.  Wow, it is all worth it during moments like those.

To finish off our Catch a Little Rhyme lesson, we decided to make a kite, since at the end of the poem the rhyme flies away as a kite.  I found some kite making directions online and I will leave you with a couple pictures of my boy attempting to fly his kite made all by himself without a lick of wind. (We will try it again when we get some wind around here.)

Until later,
Gail


 

No comments:

Post a Comment